Students of Federal Government Girls’ College, Efon Alaaye in Ekiti State are now counting their losses following a fire incident in their hostel on Monday.
The inferno which started at about noon raged for few hours consuming the students’ personal effects like clothes, books and provisions. No life was lost in the incident.
Also gone with the blaze are mattresses, cupboards, curtains and some facilities with over 150 students losing their personal belongings.
A source told our reporter on Tuesday that the fire incident might have been caused by power surge as faulty electricity in the dormitory was rectified the previous day.
The fire which razed the Favour Integrity Hostel was said to have started from the ceiling.
All the students in the hostel are left with just single uniforms on them during the inferno as other uniforms and personal clothes had been burnt.
The students called on the Federal Government, the owners of the school, to come to their aid.
The school authorities called men of Fire Service from Ado-Ekiti, the state capital and nearby Ilesa in Osun State but their vehicles could not gain access into the school because of the hilly topography.
Lack of access to the school compound by the firemen gave the inferno a free reign razing the dormitory and materials inside.
The Alaaye of Efon, Oba Emmanuel Aladejare, paid a sympathy visit to the school and was there for over three hours.
Parents who had been notified of the fire on phone rushed to the school on Tuesday to check on the welfare of their wards assess things for themselves.
They kicked against the school management’s call on them to provide palliatives for the students without the input of the Parent-Teacher Association (PTA).
School authorities declined comments on the incidents and even prevented the crew of the Nigeria Television Authority (NTA) from covering the incident.