The leadership of the Southwest Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on Monday held a stakeholders’ meeting at the Civic Centre, Agodi, Ibadan with a sole agenda to reposition the party ahead of the 2019 general elections. The meeting which was anchored by the National Vice Chairman(Southwest PDP), Chief Olorogun Eddy Olafeso had 20 members from each of the Southwest States in attendance.
Olafeso in his opening remarks said the party is repositioning itself to take charge from the APC come 2019 adding that PDP has regained its strength by virtue of the victory recorded by the Makarfi-led Caretaker Committee at the supreme court recently. Describing Ekiti State Governor, Mr. Ayodele Fayose as a General who has refused to join the Nigerian Army, the National Vice Chairman thanked the governor and other leaders in the in the party for bringing PDP back to life.
Governor Fayose in his address said it is time to channel a way forward for the party by instilling discipline and embarking on reconciliation of former members who deserted the party for one reason or the other. The governor who noted that it was wrong for President Muhammadu Buhari to continue to hang on to power even when he’s not fit added that the people are tired of APC and can’t wait to kick them out in 2019.
The meeting which had in attendance former Ogun State Governor, Otunba Gbenga Daniel, PDP Former Deputy Chairman, Chief Bode George, Lagos State former deputy governor, Mrs. Kofoworola Bucknor-Akerele, Osun State former deputy governor, Senator Iyiola Omisore, Ondo State PDP candidate in the 2016 gubernatorial election, Barr. Eyitayo Jegede and Alhaji Tajudeen Oladipo amongst others later proceeded into a closed door session.
The meeting after about 90 minutes emerged with a communique jointly signed by the leaders, the communique read by Chief Eddy Olafeso resolved as follows:
1. The Southwest leadership of the party congratulates the Caretaker Committee of the party under the able leadership of His Excellency, Senator Ahmed Makarfi and distinguished members of the Caretaker Committee over the landmark victory recorded at the supreme court on the 12th of July, 2017.
2. The zonal leadership hereby condemn and regret the action and ignoble roles some of its members played that led to the unfortunate experience and trauma that have held the entire party down over a year and pray such never re-occur in our party.
3. The entire Southwest leadership and stakeholders condemn the destabilising and anti-party activities of Senator Buruji Kashamu and demand that disciplinary action be taken against him for his roles in the loss of the party in Ogun, Ondo and Edo States.
4. The zonal leadership and stakeholders hereby dissociate the zone from the activities of Senator Buruji Kashamu and resolve further to henceforth desist from dealing with him in any capacity in the zone.
5. The leadership of the party in Ogun is hereby directed to stop all dealings and meetings involving Senator Buruji Kashamu and his agents until the action against him is pronounced.
6. It is hereby resolved that a special committee be set up at local and national level to reach out to all those who have left the party as a result of the destructive activities and act of sabotage embarked upon by these charlatans.