Tennis superstar Venus Williams is being sued by the family of a man who died after an automobile accident earlier this month.
We reported yesterday that Williams, 37, was blamed for the accident that killed 78-year-old Jerome Barson.
Speaking on “Good Morning America” Friday Michael Steinger, attorney for Linda Barson, wife of the deceased, said the family will file suit against the tennis star and are trying to gather more information about the fatal crash, ESPN writes.
“At this point we are attempting to both preserve the evidence and gain access to evidence,” Steinger said.
“There were video cameras placed at guard houses where Ms. Williams lives, police have refused after multiple requests to turn those over to us, and we would like to see visual portrayal of the accident on those videos. They have impounded all the vehicles and have impeded our ability to do our investigation and move forward. Not sure what their reasoning is. They have refused to turn them over to us at this point.”
According to the police report filed by police in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, Williams’ 2010 Toyota Sequoia SUV darted into an intersection in Palm Beach Gardens, near her residence on June 9, ramming into Linda Barson’s car.
The elderly couple both sustained injuries from the crash but Jerome died 14 days later after being confined in an ICU.
Williams was reportedly traveling at around 5 mph when she entered the intersection, and police say there was no evidence that alcohol, drugs or texting while driving were factors in the crash.
Meanwhile, ABC legal expert Areva Martin said it would be rare for Williams to face criminal charges under the circumstances.
“To be charged criminally in an automobile accident, there has to be a finding of reckless or wanton conduct,” Martin said. “None of that appears to be the case, so it’s unlikely she’d be held criminally responsible for the death of the man.”
Venus Williams, who offered her sympathy for the “unfortunate accident” is seeded 10th at Wimbledon which commences Monday.